5.08.2010

Recognition

I have to write this down before I forget...

I was visiting my sister's family yesterday for the after party of Scotty's graduation. So, after Olive Garden, my niece Morgan wanted to ride with us from Salt Lake to her house in our car. We were chatting it up in the back seat (as much as you can chat it up with a 7-year-old...) and then the most amazing thing happened.

Dad turned on Classical 89, that blessed station that plays what I think are the most commonly played classical songs ever. But, to my surprise, Morgan pipes up, "Hey! I know this song! It's on a BARBIE movie. This is the part where Barbie is dancing..." and she goes on to tell me everything in the movie that is happening while the song is playing in the movie. She was so detailed and even sang along in her childish voice to the parts that were familiar to her.

Bless that little girl's heart, she made me the happiest future-music-teacher-in-America that day. I was able to have a teaching moment, telling her that "No sweetie, the song is actually called 'Swan Lake', it's not just the name of a movie" and about the composer. I was amazed how much that child was absorbing music.

This is the little first-grader who opened my music dictionary (with no urging on my part!) and was sounding out names of instruments. She read it like a storybook...

What a wonder.

1 comment:

  1. That's too funny Court! Thanks for being such a sweet auntie to my girls! :)

    ReplyDelete